When you spend days working hard, it’s important that you take your well-deserved breaks. Unwind and get comfy in your favourite chair. Enjoy a movie or power down with a podcast. And if you can’t get enough of truck-related content, even in your down time, we’ve got you truck enthusiasts covered!
Are you interested in watching stories about truckies? You can check these shows out to learn more about industry professionals, and even pick up a thing or two.
- “Aussie Truck Rehab” is a show that focuses on truck modification and restoration. They may discuss industry news, but the heart of the show is the restoration and the entertaining stories behind the trucks they find. The first season was released in 2023 and there’s no news yet if the show will be renewed for a second season. But for the available episodes, you can watch or stream it on Discovery.
- “Outback Truckers” was a reality TV series that was originally aired in 2012. It follows the lives of truck drivers as they navigate the vast and remote Australian Outback, bringing to light the challenges they face while on the road, including extreme weather conditions, long distances, and difficult terrains. The show highlights the skills of professional truckies, making viewers gain new appreciation for the industry.
- Looking for a short show? “Megatruckers” is always a hit. The reality TV show also aired in 2012 and only has 1 season. Features Jon Kelly, the man behind Heavy Haulage Australia, and the high-stake scenarios with hauling extreme loads.
If you’re more into learning about trucks on-the-go, “Truck Topia” is a YouTube channel with just over 81,000 subscribers. It’s relatively small but the videos are well put together and can answer some burning questions you may have about trucks.
Please note that availability may vary depending on your location and streaming platform.
Podcasts are a fantastic way to stay entertained and informed while going about your day. With so many platforms to choose from, you have a wide variety of podcasts at your fingertips. Whether you prefer Spotify, Apple Podcasts, or YouTube, you can easily find one that suit your interests.
Here are some recommendations:
- “On The Road Aussie Trucking” hosted by Mike Williams, the editor of Truckin’ Life Magazine. The podcast features trucking stories and people passionate about the transportation business. With over 200 episodes, you’ll have plenty of content to binge through.
- “Copy Southbound Podcast” is a similar podcast that’s less about news and focuses more on real-life stories. Hosted by Bruce Gunter and Brendon Ryan, they’ve featured transport tycoons and big names in the trucking industry. This includes Keith Anderson of Western Transport, Alan Ross of Ross Transport, and Paul Cox, a Master Restorer from the USA.
- “Truck & Driver” is another popular podcast in the UK. It shares a name with a magazine and is hosted by Dougie Rankine and Chris Maddison. New episodes are regularly posted regularly.
These are just some of the popular ones. There are loads more of trucking podcasts you can check on Spotify.
Experience the thrill of truck driving with video games available on Steam. Whether you want to explore European cities, drive across the American highways, or experience trucking in Australia, there’s a game for everyone.
- “SnowRunner” is an off-road truck driving game which challenges players to navigate through difficult terrains, including mud, snow, and rivers. It features a wide range of vehicles and is designed with realistic physics to make your experience as close to realism as possible. The game was released in 2020 but is still pretty popular.
- “American Truck Driving” is another simulation released in 2016. Although older, the game holds up according to reviews.
- “Truck World: Australia” is an upcoming game by Truck World Studio which is designed to simulate truck driving across popular roads in Australia. Teasers show great landscapes and a lot of gamers are hyped up. The official release date however hasn’t been announced yet.
Other popular truck driving games on Steam include Euro Truck Simulator 2, American Truck Simulator, and Truck Simulator USA. But if you’re more into mobile games, you can try “Truckers of Europe 3” by Wanda Software. The controls are simple, but the animation and vehicle physics are great. You can even get an interior shot of the truck or have it cleaned at a car wash.
Truck Shows and Events
Feeling adventurous? Attending truck shows and events in your area can be a fun and engaging way to connect with fellow truck enthusiasts and stay up to date with the latest trends in the industry.
- Get your adrenaline pumping with cars breathing fire and soaring in the air at “Monster Truck Mania”. You’ll also get to see favourite truckies like “Raptor’s Rampage” which debuted in 2009 under Extreme Monster Truck Events. They’ll be touring from Sydney, Melbourne, then Brisbane in May 2024. Tickets are now on sale and selling fast.
- For those in the transport industry, “Truck Australia” will return in 2024 to feature big names and discuss industry news. They haven’t announced an official date and venue yet, but registration is expected to start in November (similar to last year).
Another great event to add to your calendar is the “Brisbane Truck Show”. The event in early 2023 heavily featured zero-emissions commercial truck models as part of the country’s decarbonisation journey. The next one isn’t until 2025 but you can expect to see a wide range of accessories and truck modification ideas you can use to personalise your own truck. Live entertainment is a plus and, if you’re more into viewing, there will of course be a long parade of truck models for you to peruse.
We hope the above has given you inspiration for your next time off. Now, let’s shift our focus back to the less exciting bits. If you’re an owner driver or planning to become one and need some help with finding the appropriate insurance, we’ve got your back!
Visit Ryno Insurance today and get the cover you need. Secure your investment and hit the road with confidence.